1. Padstow to Lanivet
6 points of interest
National Lobster Hatchery
St Petroc’s minor Church
St Breock Downs Monolith
Originally five metres high and weighing some 16.75 tonnes, the St Breock Downs Monolith is the largest and heaviest prehistoric monolith in Cornwall. It stands at the top of St Breock Downs and offers a magnificent view.
St Clement Church
The name Withiel is linked to a 4th century Irish saint, St Uvel. Withiel's church and manor house belonged to Bodmin Monastery until 1538. If the old church was not on the present site, this church was built in granite in the 15th and 16th century with a nave and choir to which a tower and a curious little chapel were later added.
The Catholic and Anglican churches of Padstow are in the north of the city. Departure is from the Anglican Church of St. Petroc. Reach the harbour to the east by Church lane :
- At the port, follow the shore to the South until the exit of the town marked by a small lake bypassed by the right. The marked Saint's Way trail follows the river to the hamlet of Little Petherick.
- Turn left onto the A389 which crosses the river and in a left turn joins a path. Follow this path along the river on the other bank and joins a small road which crosses the river again at Mellingey. Follow the road to Trenance and continue east on a road and trail that crosses the river again and meets a small road at Blable Farm.
- Turn right on this steep road and then left at the next crossroads. Cross the main road A39 and take another small road opposite which passes through a few houses and then the river. 200m after the bend in the road on the right, take the path on the right. Reach the edge of a field and follow it towards the South East until you reach a country lane that leads to a farm on the right. Continue on this road that turns east and goes up to wind turbines left on the left. At the next three crossroads, turn left, still in the same eastbound direction.
- When the road goes north, turn right on the road going south. At the first bend in this road, continue on the southbound path that descends and reaches a country road. Turn right and then left on the road to cross the river and go up to the hamlet of Withiel.
- Cross it continuing south and turn left at the last house to take an eastbound path. The path goes down, crosses a brook before going up again to reach a path facing South. Follow it to the next crossroads with a larger road.
- Turn left on this road going east. Leave Retire's houses on the left, cross the creek and go up to Tremore. After the Tremore crossroads, turn right on a path that passes under a power line before reaching a road that is followed for 100m between two sharp bends. Continue east on a path that passes under a second power line before reaching a road that crosses another road.
- Continue in the same direction on the road that descends towards Lanivet. Cross an important Truro Road before reaching the village church, the destination of the stage.
- Departure : St Petroc’s Church, Padstow PL28 8BG
- Arrival : Parish Church, 81 Rectory road, Lanivet PL30 5HG
- Towns crossed : Cornwall
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here:
- Local produce