from Vassy to Pont d'Ouilly
04. 590 France (1/3)Normandie
9. from Vassy to Pont d'Ouilly
Embed this item to access it offline
Rivers with steep-sided valleys, hills with superb panoramic views, wooded passages and green meadows: we're discovering the Suisse Normande.
3 points of interest
Courval CommanderyThe Commandery of the Knights Templar at Courval was founded around 1150 by the de Vassy family, then transferred in 1307 to the Hospitaller Brothers of Saint-Jean-de-Jérusalem (later the Order of Malta), who retained it until the French Revolution. The chapel has a Romanesque choir, an early 13th-century nave and a 15th or 16th-century roof frame. The chapel was used as a barn until 1991, but has retained its 15th or 16th century wall paintings.
The manor house was rebuilt in the 15th century following its destruction during the Hundred Years' War.
St-Martin-des-champsKnown as St Martin du Vieux Méré, this chapel dates back to the 15th century and has been extensively altered. It corresponds to a very ancient place of worship, which could be the original site of the parish of Méré. Sarcophagi have been discovered in the surrounding cemetery.
The statue of St Martin, located in a small oratory outside the chapel, bears witness to the ongoing veneration of pilgrims.
Magnificent views over the Noireau valley.
St-Roch ChapelThe chapel dates back to the 16th century and was built following a plague epidemic. In a state of disrepair, it was restored in 1932. In 1933, Maurice le Scouëzec, a native of Lorient, created eight frescoes depicting the life of St Roch. These frescoes were restored in 1984 by Marek Sobczyk, then in 2003 by Jean Bonavita.
To find out more
From the church in Vassy, walk down rue Joseph Requeut. At the next fork in the road, turn left into rue du Moulin and a few metres further on, turn right into rue du Vieux Presbytère. Follow this road as far as the Moulin à Huile. Continue along the path that follows the valley of the Tortillon (yellow signposted path):
- Cross the Tortillon stream by the small bridge and, at the next crossroads, turn left onto the signposted path. At the hamlet of Aligny, turn right onto the road (signposted Chemin des Templiers) and follow it as far as the junction with the D310, then turn slightly left onto the path leading down to the Commanderie de Courval. Just before the Commanderie buildings, turn right onto the track and follow it to the D310A. Turn right onto this road and follow it to the hamlet of Le Vivier. In the hamlet, turn right and at the hamlet of La Faverie, turn left along the "Templar trail". Turn right at the fork in the hill to reach the hamlet of La Chaize. Continue along the road through the hamlet and turn right at the crossroads. Follow this road to the crossroads with the D310, where you turn left. At the crossroads with the D105, turn right. At the next crossroads, turn left into Pontécoulant.
- In the village, continue on the departmental road towards St Germain. At the end of the village, after the bridge over the Jeannette, turn left onto a track and follow it as far as the route de Montbray. Continue straight on this road and turn right onto the first track. Follow it until it joins a road, then turn left.
- After the hamlet of Carrouge, take the track on the right to reach the hamlet of La Blare. Cross the D36, and continue straight ahead on the track to the left of the statue of the Virgin and follow it as far as the village of Bouilly. Continue straight on, passing another statue of the Virgin. Cross the D562, continue straight ahead towards the Arboretum and reach the church of St Denis de Méré.
- Go up to the right of the church and turn right into the Rue de la Chasse, towards the Chapel of St Martin and the cemetery. After the chapel, take the first road on the left towards Cailly. In the hamlet, take the road on the left towards Bénusse. After passing through this hamlet, turn left up the hill, then right towards La Butte.
- At the bottom of the descent, at the crossroads with the D256a, turn right towards Bordeaux. Cross the railway line (vélorail), then turn left towards La Martelée. After passing the hamlet of Rocray, take the path that climbs to the left, then turn right towards the hamlet of Ardilly. Pass this hamlet and continue towards the D1.
- A few metres before the road, turn right onto the path leading to the chapel of St Roch. After the chapel, continue on the D1 and fork left towards Bourg St Marc. Go through the village and continue straight ahead on the signposted path down towards Pont d'Ouilly, reaching the church via Rue de Bretagne.
- Departure : Church, rue Joseph Requeut, Vassy, 14410 Valdallière
- Arrival : Place de l’église, rue de Bretagne, 14690 Pont-d’Ouilly
- Towns crossed : Normandie
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: